Summary: This document offers 10 tips to help you write effective professional e-mails. The informal notes you exchange with your friends don't have to meet any particular standards, of course, but if you want to be taken seriously by professionals, you should know formal e-mail etiquette.
- Write a meaningful subject line.
- Keep the message focused and readable.
- Avoid attachments.
- Identify yourself clearly.
- Be kind -- don't flame.
- Don't assume privacy.
- Distinguish between formal and informal situations.
- Respond Promptly.
- Show Respect and Restraint.
See the full article at http://jerz.setonhill.edu/writing/e-text/e-mail.htm