Mobiles are usually a work phone or a personal phone, and you can answer them accordingly. Remember that if you don't recognise the number it could be anyone on the other end.
Non-UK answering techiniques
Different countries have different methods.
- Spanish: digame (speak to me) or just plain si (yes)
- Russian: slooshio (listening/ready)
- German: Answer with your surname. Anything else is considered impolite.
- France: A quick 'allo usually suffices.
- Italy: Pronto? or Si.
- Japan: Use moshi moshi, which is a contraction of moshimasu, moshimasu (I am going to speak), or a simple hai (affirmative).
Answering the telephone can be very important- remember it's those first impressions that really count. Make sure that you choose a formality that suits the occasion, and that your voice sounds bright, cheerful and efficient.