In the fiction of J. R. R. Tolkien, the Wizards of Middle-earth are a small group of beings outwardly resembling Men but possessing much greater physical and mental power.
They are also called the Istari ("Wise Ones") by the elves.
The Wizards – their colour - notes
- Saruman - White (later Many Coloured) - Leader of the order, until Gandalf cast him out.
- Gandalf, Mithrandir, Icanus, Tharkun, The Grey Pilgrim, Stormcrow - Grey (later White) - the second most powerful in the order, until he cast out Saruman. He became Gandalf the White when he slew the Balrog.
- Radagast - Brown - third most powerful in the order. Saruman deceived him into getting Gandalf captured in Isengard. He was a loved of animals, especially birds.
- Morinehtar - Blue - nothing is recorded of these people.
- Rómestámo - Blue - nothing is recorded of these people.
Gandalf and Saruman both play important roles in The Lord of the Rings, while Radagast appears only briefly. Alatar and Pallando do not feature in the story, as they journeyed far into the east after their arrival in Middle-earth.