Catachresis is a the use of word or a figure of speech incorrectly, breaking the rules of usage.
Catachresis can be used in a number of ways, for example:
- Using a word outside its normal context, where it appears wrong.
- Creating a contradiction or paradox.
- Substituting one language element for another.
- Using mixed metaphor.
- Using a simile that does not work.
- Her laughing feet fell overboard with amazement.
- He looked at the price and his pockets ran dry.
- She grabbed the bull by the horns of the dilemma.
- He was as happy as a corpse.
See full article at http://changingminds.org/techniques/language/figures_speech/catachresis.htm