As a tribute to the greatest civil engineering achievements of the 20th century, the American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) has chosen the Seven Wonders of the Modern World.
The international wonders demonstrate modern society's ability to achieve unachievable feats, reach unreachable heights, and scorn the notion "it can't be done."
ASCE honored the following civil engineering marvels:
- Channel Tunnel (England & France)
- CN Tower (Toronto)
- Empire State Building (New York)
- Golden Gate Bridge (San Francisco)
- Itaipu Dam (Brazil/Paraguay)
- Netherlands North Sea Protection Works (Netherlands)
- Panama Canal (Panama)