His powers include a wide range of abilities, some of which are beyond the powers of the other undead in the novel:
- he can command any animal and control the weather;
- he can become mist or elemental dust;
- he has superhuman strength and speed;
- his gaze is hypnotic;
- he can transform himself into a bat or a wolf.
He has serious limitations, as well:
- he is relatively powerless between sunrise and sunset;
- he cannot enter a home unless invited (although his power to hypnotize helps him to bypass this limitation);
- he cannot advance when faced by a cross, garlic, or a piece of communion wafer;
- he can only cross running water when it is at its lowest;
- he must sleep in soil made sacred by the burial of dead from his own family.